Friday, September 25, 2009

ASL word of the day

As a deaf interpreter I find ASL a fascinating language. I love sharing this knowledge with my grandchildren and they love learning new words. Each week we will share some words that are easy  to sign. This way you can learn them and then practice signing  with  your family and friends. Research has found that children who are not to the point of speech yet, can learn and communicate in basic sign to let you know what they want.

This week Jonathan and Kayleigh are going to show you some words to practice.



    apple n.  a rounded firm fruit with red, green or yellow skin:  eat an apple
  • with the kuckle of the right X hand near the right side of the mouth, twist the wrist downward with a double movement

I love you is one of the most universal signs there is. Kayleigh loves to sign this to Grandma Nee'
hold up your thumb, index finger and pinky while holding down your middle and ring finger.
I love you combines the letters I, L and Y to make the sign.