Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pumpkin Soup


Once we arrived to America, everyone ate soup. It was Hot, filling and could be made with anything.
Start up the fire, fill your large kettle and hang on the back of your fireplace.
Simmer for several days giving your house a most fragrant aroma. Soup gets better the more days you cook it.



Do you remember this old rhyme?
Pease porridge hot
Pease porridge cold
Pease porridge in the pot
Nine days old

Porridge in former times actually meant "Thick Soup"

We took these pictures of Jordan, Grandma and Grandpa  in Jamestown and Williamsburg Virginia.


Pumpkin soup from an old  cookbook of 1700's recipes

2 cups of pumpkin meat (or 1 lb can)
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Put pumpkin in a saucepan over a low flame. Stir in milk. Do not let it boil. Add salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Serve hot .
I made mine in my slow cooker on low and then when in began to simmer I turned it down to warm till we were ready to eat. I also put 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 teaspoon nutmeg for a more spiced flavor. I found the recipe was mild in taste. I think I will make a batch to serve a few hours before Thanksgiving dinner.